Article_header_shadow

Adis Ababa, Abyssinia (Capital) 1911 Profile



Icon-asia-abyssinia-original

ADIS ABABA (" the new flower"), the capital of Abyssinia and of the kingdom of Shoa, in 9 1' N., 38 56' E., 220 m. W. by S. of Harrar, and about 450 m. S.W. of Jibuti on the Gulf of Aden. Adis Ababa stands on the southern slopes of the Entotto range, at an altitude of over 8000 ft., on bare, grassy undulations, watered by small streams flowing S.S.E. to the Hawash. It is a large straggling encampment rather than a town, with few buildings of any architectural merit. The Gebi or royal enclosure completely covers a small hill overlooking the whole neighbourhood, while around it are the enclosures of the abuna and principal nobles, and the residences of the foreign ministers. The principal traders are Armenians and Hindus. About a mile north-east of the palace is the military camp. On the hills some five miles to the north, 1500 ft. above the camp, are the ruins of an old fortress, and the churches of St Raguel and St Mariam. The town is in telegraphic communication with Massawa, Harrar and Jibuti. It was founded by Menelek II. in 1892 as the capital of his king dom in succession to Entotto, a deserted settlement some ten or twelve miles north of Adis Ababa.

      "Adis Ababa," The Encyclopedia Britannica. Volume 1, A to Androphagi (11th ed.), (New York: Encyclopedia Britannica, 1911); digital edition, (http://mygenshare.com : posted 15 Jan 2013)

© 2008 MyGenShare 2012. All Rights Reserved. MyGenShare neither warrants nor represents that your use of materials displayed on this site will not infringe the rights of third parties not owned or affiliated with MyGenShare. The trademarks displayed on this Site are registered and unregistered trademarks of MyGenShare.



Add a Comment



*Spam Protection (finish statement)

We live on planet .