Alexandria, Virginia, Historical Profile (1919)
Alexandria, Va., the county seat of Alexandria County, on the Southern, the Pennsylvania, the Baltimore & Ohio, the Atlantic Coast Line, the Seaboard Air Line and the Chesapeake & Ohio railroads, and on the Potomac River, 100 miles from its mouth and six miles below Washington. The harbor is hero a mile wide, and sea-going vessels come up to the city. There is a large and increasing trade, and the manufactures include shoes, flour, machinery, fertilizers, glass, thread and chemicals.
Alexandria was settled in 1695 as Belhaven, was organized under its present name in 1742, and was incorporated in 1779. One of its most cherished buildings is the old Christ Church, to which George Washington came regularly from Mount Vernon, a few miles farther south, to worship. Population, 1910, 15,329; in 1917, 17,939 (Federal estimate).